Sunday, March 27, 2011

#299 - Ten

I was fascinated to see the engraving on this old tombstone:  58 years, 10 months, and one day.  They were pretty precise on the exact age of this gentleman, weren't they?

11 comments:

  1. Is the gravestone for Harriet, wife of Samuel or for Samuel himself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they were! I see that all the time at the cemetery by me for deaths in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I'm not sure why that was or why it changed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim. As someone who is 58 years, 0 months, and 4 days old, you've given me reason for great optimism.

    On the up side, I've never met Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am xx years, 2 months and 3 days....happily lagging behind both Harriet and Bill....

    It's fun to visit old cemeteries from time to time. Amazing how the stones hold up through the years, and weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary the amount of time that one can spend wandering through graveyards, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you toned this shot.

    Considering the labor involved in carving those stones by hand, you would have thought they wouldl try to minimize the details provided. Maybe the addition of the month and year was a way for apprentice stone carvers to get more practice. Or maybe it was an extra task the master carver gave his apprentices when they showed up later for work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All engraved with love! A beautiful capture and endearing memory (for someone)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were they as specific in life as they were in death?

    Nice tones with the rusty orange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the monotone composition. I have a picture of one of my husband's ancestors and they counted down the days also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen some too that counted like that from about that period, sort of reinforces the notion of living each day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete