Friday, May 13, 2011

#94 - Faces

Tree carvings fascinate me... but... do they hurt the tree?

11 comments:

  1. very cool, but that's my question too - do they hurt the tree? I don't know the answer. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like one of the walking trees from Lord of the Rings...I love the details in the carving. I wonder too if it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it hurts the tree unless it gordles it. It certainly does seem to embody the spirit of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shhh, that tree is trying to catch a nap inbetween squirrel raids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen anything like that on a living tree. It looks cool, but like everyone else, I hope it's not harmful to the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping that the splash of green needles behind it indicates that the tree is still thriving. Maybe it depends on how deeply they carve?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing art on a living tree . . . hopefully the tree has healed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have that carved on your back and see how it feels, Kim! It looks cool but I would think a totem pole is a better place to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a live tree carved like that either. It's an interesting living art...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never thought of that when I carved my girlfriends and my initials in a tree. Sad to say the tree is now a house (made of bricks) and the girl went away.
    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool carving but I think if it went into the living cambium layer it would at the very least stress the tree and open it up to bugs and diseases...

    ReplyDelete