Friday, September 9, 2011

#319 - The Letter R

The Letter R stands for Rockefeller; as in Standard Oil millionaire William Rockefeller, who owned Indian Mound Cottage on Jekyll Island.  The house was built in 1891 and later purchased by Mr. Rockefeller as his winter retreat.  It was named 'Indian Mound' because of its adjacency to the old Indian Mound, believed to be a burial mound of the Guale Indians, of Muskhogean stock, who were the earliest inhabitants of Jekyll Island.

I'm kind of amused that these enormous homes were quaintly referred to as 'cottages.' 

11 comments:

  1. His winter home?? What a rough life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful house! I love the wrap-around porch and that it's called a "cottage".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing..."cottage??"

    Beautiful shot of a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rockefeller "Standard Oil Millionaire"??? I would have thought of him as an "Extra-Ordinary Oil Millionaire"! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful "cottage". I can see the ladies in their finery having tea on the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind wintering there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine cottage indeed. I think my house would fit on that inviting porch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful home. Another nice little cottage. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these homes you have photographed...so majestic. Would love to tour the interior.

    ReplyDelete